Friday, October 13, 2006

Nines asked for pictures of laundry rooms, so here's mine. It's just inside the back door, which is off to the left. It's built into part of the back verandah, and I never do laundry without feeling grateful. For many years I had to haul all the washing downstairs to a set of concrete sinks, with the washer installed on a high concrete slab. That made it taller, and I couldn't even reach the bottom of the bowl; I had to sort of jump in and swipe things out. That was a lot of fun. It was just bare dirt, and if things fell down they got filthy. I hated it! Most highset Queensland houses still have the laundry downstairs, even new ones.

I worked on DH for 15 years before I got my washer installed upstairs, and he fought bitterly. He thought it was a silly idea. But he has had to agree that it was the best thing we ever did, besides moving the toilet upstairs. That happened within weeks of buying the house; no way was I going downstairs in the middle of the night. I was adamant.

Other piccies are a Flying Geese quilt I made a while ago. It's flannel, and very snuggly. It was so simple to make and finish, I feel drawn to do something with quite large pieces and graphic impact. Might start work on something similar...

And the picture of arches in one that I took when Meredith and I were in Port Adelaide last year. We drove under the railway bridge and the view was so impressive I made Meredith drive around the block and park on the side of the road while I ran under the bridge and took some photos. The passing traffic thought I was nuts, but the perspective was intruiging.

7 comments:

Hedgehog 1:33 AM  

I love your geese.

Angie 2:31 AM  

Oh your flannel flying geese quilt is wonderful! What size blocks did you make? And it was easy...I mean using flannel and making the geese? I would love snuggling under that one!! :)

Angie 2:31 AM  

Oh your flannel flying geese quilt is wonderful! What size blocks did you make? And it was easy...I mean using flannel and making the geese? I would love snuggling under that one!! :)

mereth 6:55 AM  

I remember visiting once and when I went to put the plug in the concrete laundry trough there was a huge spider in the bottom.Then it started doing laps around the sides as if it were in a velodrome before it finally fell over the edge-UGHHH!
Hail the upstairs laundry!

Carol E. 12:54 PM  

I do that, too! I drive around blocks and park in funny spots to grab a unique photo. Thanks for the neat photo of the arches.

Eileen 5:08 AM  

I need a flannel quilt for our bed, but it's a king so it'll take me awhile.
Thanks for the link to your pantos, they are gorgeous! I'll have to budget myself and start sending for them.
I agree about loving pantos, they make the quilts sing.
Will you be in New Hampshire again in April? If not, Columbia River will have both your and Meredith's patterns, right?
I wish we had classes like your color one here in shops. They're mostly pushing particular fabrics or gadgets. Have you ever thought of teachng through Quilt University?

meggie 8:10 AM  

I do enjoy your blog!!
Love that quilt.

Sympathise over the old laundry. Mine is quite nice really, now, but it is invisible under piles of ironing that never get done!

Mind you, the quilty fabric all gets washed & ironed on the day of purchase!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP