Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Remember this quilt from last November? It was from the book Glorious American Quilts, and I made a trial block or two, and kitted up 30 others. Well I didn't finish doing it properly, so that's what I've been doing in my spare time lately. If you go back to the November archives you can see the cutting directions for the block too; don't seem to be able to link to individual posts once they are too old...
I needed 7" strips for the corner triangles, 2" strips for the pieced triangle units, and 3.5" strips for the squares. I had cut those and stored them, but that's as far as it went.When I cut the strips I work out how many shapes I can cut from each 18" strip of fabric. I use the shorter length because I like to have a lot of variety in the fabrics, and because I can cut them from FQs.

With the 2" strips I would get enough pieced HST from each light/dark pair of strips for 3 blocks. So I needed 11 pairs of strips for those units. For the small light triangles I could cut enough for 3 blocks from 2 strips, so another 22 light strips.

The 3.5" squares came in at 5/strip; I needed 96, so roughly 20 strips.

Four of the 7" triangles could be cut from one strip, enough for two blocks. 16 strips would give me all the triangles for all the blocks.

And I never do any calculation to see what fits on a strip; I cut one up and count. It works for me. Somedays I can operate like a maths genius, other days I have a hard time reading a tape measure.

So my pile of strips was 11 dark 2" strips, 33 light 2" strips, 20 medium 3.5" strips and 16 7" strips. That was all the fabric the blocks would take, and I threw in a few extras for variety. Then the strips were stored in the container and all the piles of fabric were put back in their drawers.

The strips have sat there nicely all this time, and when I came back from my trip with a few more fabrics to add in to the mix I decided it was time to cut the thing out properly.

I folded the light strips so there were four layers, which meant only two cuts per block.
The light and dark were placed right sides together and cut out. The sets of pieces were arranged on cardboard sheets to keep them in order while I cut the whole strip into pieces.Here are the squares cut, the corner triangles stacked in pairs and the pieced triangles in their little piles.It's simply a matter of dealing them out like a hand of cards...then packaging the small pieces in sandwich bags.The large triangles are arranged on cardboard sheets that fit neatly inside my kit container.
To make counting easier the small baggies are stored in lots of 10 inside a bigger plastic bag.
The whole thing just sits quietly on the shelf waiting for me to have the time to sew.And of course I had to test a few of the blocks, to make sure that I had everything right, and the colour choices were working.

Nothing wrong with this lot, I'll just keep on sewing when I get the time. A block takes 15 minutes total, so all the work preparing the pieces is well worth it.

5 comments:

mereth 4:06 PM  

Yep, the more work you do ahead of time, the easier the sewing process. I love how these are turning out, I'd be hard pressed to not just sew them all up at once....

Lynda (Granny K) 5:46 PM  

Oh my! just look at those wonderful fabrics! I stand in awe of your organisationability (?) - I, who cut as I go along from whatever takes my fancy at the time!

Sheila 10:26 PM  

So, so pretty!
I despise the cutting process (almost as much as swatching for knitting!), but I love your ideas for organizing ahead of time so as to get on with the fun! Thanks for the tips.
Sheila in Ohio

meggie 2:23 PM  

I am a bit like Granny K, in that I tend to cut as I go. Well, for scrap quilts.
I admire your organised approach & will try it for my next quilt.

Quilts And Pieces 1:19 PM  

OOOoo - I love these blocks!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP