Monday, March 22, 2010

My design wall is an utter mess right now, but I'm sewing madly in every spare minute and I haven't taken the time to sort it all out. 


I'm still enjoying these spiderweb blocks, and I have 14 now, only two more needed. 

In the comments on the last post Kerri asked about how I was going to fill in the squares between the octogons; I haven't really decided yet, there are several options.  The easiest is to make triangles to fit on the corners, half the blocks with light corners, half with dark. 

Or I could add a further small triangle after that, and create this sort of spool shape. 

I'm still trying to work out colours, and decide if it's all too fussy.  I'm just making it up as I go along.

The colours look pretty disgusting, I just snapped some photos at night; it looks better by the light of day.
And here's an approximation of what it will look like thanks to EQ6, though mine will be only 16 blocks instead of 25.  And the EQ block is simpler than mine.  I love being able to rough out variations in EQ6, it saves me so much time.

And now to sew some more, in the last few minutes in the day.

18 comments:

Vicki H. 9:56 PM  

Those colors are divine. I think I am partial to the triangle in the corners. I am learning EQ6 and having loads of fun. I need to figure out how to export...

pdudgeon 10:32 PM  

yep, i like your second choice for the fill-in block. it gives a secondary 4 point star effect, which is quite nice!

Denise :) 10:36 PM  

I, too, like the triangles in the corners! :) I'm trying to decide if I want to take the EQ6 plunge ... perhaps for Mother's Day! LOL! :) Have a happy Monday!

Diane 10:39 PM  

oh your blocks are terrific! love em.

Judy Laquidara 11:14 PM  

Your blocks are so pretty. You're making me want to switch from all brights to more muddy shades of fabrics. Could you quilt without EQ? Take away my EQ and Spiral Square panto and I'd have to give it all up! :)

Anonymous,  11:20 PM  

Oh my goodness, your piecing is perfect. I don't know how to describe it, but everything lines up from one wedge to another. I, too, love spider blocks. In terms of the squares, I would keep these all the same color, eg, scrappy whites, or scrappy creams. Looking forward to seeing what you decide to do with them.

sewprimitive karen 11:27 PM  

The greens in them are so pretty.

Quilter Kathy 11:55 PM  

Love those blocks! I want to make some from my scraps!

CJ 11:57 PM  

Oh wow, that is going to be just fabulous! I love it in your fabric choices!

Anonymous,  11:59 PM  

I really like how this is coming together. I like the solid triangle option. Keep going!

Anonymous,  12:59 AM  

I love those blocks! They are wonderful and the colors look beautiful!

I so want to make one of these, but am going to have to figure out how to do it with the rulers I have!

Bari

Karen 1:17 AM  

I assume you are sewing strip sets for making the Spider Web blocks. Is the arrangement of width of strip the same on each strip set or are you doing it random? I don't know if I worded that where you could understand.

Goblinf 4:01 AM  

Nope colours not disgusting at all. It makes me think of the colours & complexity of mediaeval earthenware tiled floors and high victorian ones in London museums.

Kerri 1:43 PM  

Wow! do they look pretty. Thanks Keryn, for posting your blocks with different ways to put them together. I agree with all the other posts, the colors and piecing are so great. Oh my gosh, so many neat ways to do the triangles!

Unknown 9:47 AM  

Your blocks are Delish!!!!! WOW!

Jenni 4:29 PM  

In one of the Material Obsession books they do a scrap/crazy block to space spider webs. Something to consider. Love the spider web blocks - it's hard to beat a string quilt.

Meggie 5:05 PM  

I like the colours. I am sure your final decision with be perfect.

Karen 3:13 AM  

I just found your blog and haven't had time to make it past the first one. Your spiderweb is fabulous!! I love the colors. I will definitely be back to look. Thanks for sharing.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP