Sunday, December 05, 2010

 Tutorial as promised.  A bit late, but I've had a very busy week.

I've always loved this block, Road To Oklahoma, but the construction didn't appeal to me.  I didn't want to sew it with HSTs and have extra seams in the background, and I didn't want to draw diagonal lines to sew on with the flippy corner method.  So every time I thougt about making the block I also thought 'Meh. Can't be bothered'.

A while ago I wondered why you couldn't cut that trapezoid shape with a ruler.  And it turns out, the Easy Angle is made for it.

I already use and love this ruler, as does Bonnie, but now I love it even more.  When I think of all the patterns made with this shape I can't wait to get started on them.

These are cut from 2.5"strips, using the 2.5"and 4.5"markings on the ruler.  It will also work with other measurements, like 1.5"and 3.5", and the larger Easy Angle gives even more sizes.

To make this block, use a 2.5" background strip folded double, so that you are cutting a reverse shape at the same time.  Cut both sides of the ruler, the straight one and the slanted one.
If I were clever I would have taken a photo of the end trimmed square, and the ruler aligned with the edge, but ......
Rotate the ruler, and cut another shape from the folded strip, and then you can even use the same ruler to cut a pair of 2.5"squares.  Neat!

Stack two dark 2.5" strips, wrong sides up, and cut out a traapezoid shape, rotate the ruler and cut a triangle, then 2 squares;  remember there are two layers, so you are cutting all the shapes needed for one block with as few cuts as possible (2 trapezoids, 2 triangle and 4 squares).

 Line the ruler up with the points on those trapezoids, and nub off the points.  This makes it super easy to line up the pieces later.


Lay out the shapes, so you can see what has to go where.
 Take the 2 trapezoides on each side and lay them right sides together like this; see how easy they line up?  Press the seam towards the dark patch.
Add a dark square to each light end, and press towards the dark fabric.  Make the remaining squares into a four-patch.

Sew the triangles to the other light trapezoids. Press the seam towards the dark patch.
Layout all the pieced units, and sew together.  Press seams away from the four-patch.
Sew the three rows together and press seams away from the four-patch.

And there you have it, a Road To Oklahoma block, in record time with no unecessary seams.   I think I need another 50 for my quilt, so I'd better get sewing.

7 comments:

Carol 10:22 AM  

That's wonderful...thank you so much!

pdudgeon 10:11 PM  

Hmmm, now i know what ordered the latest jelly roll for, LOL.
thanks very much for this tutorial.
pam

ps, if you layered two 9 inch strips right sides together, you would only have to cut the angle once, right?

Linda in TX,  11:51 PM  

Keryn - Thanks so much! This is really a great block and you have made it so easy - with fewer seams. Scrap Bins - here I come!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) 4:25 AM  

This is an excellent way to do it. Fewer seams to sew, fewer pieces to cut and keep track of, less fabric waste. Thanks for sharing it.

Karen 10:33 AM  

You found a clever solution.

Meggie 7:12 PM  

Very clever solution! So easy when you know how.

Rose Marie 3:48 AM  

Clever girl ..... I've made these blocks and you are so right about all those hst's and seams.

Thanks for simplifying this block.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP