Monday, March 21, 2011

Every now and then I get the urge to make crumb blocks, and I cover every surface of the sewing room with little strings and snippets and scraps.  I sew together all the little shreds that I've saved in various containers, and I'm happy, happy, happy.



Blocks start to materialise on the design wall.  I love the way the tiny pieces look next to each other.  I plan to make lots of crumb quilts, and to keep sewing until all the containers are empty.

Then suddenly there are no more nice pieces to sew; everything left in the boxes is dull, the wrong shape, the wrong colour, not big enough.  I get grumpier and more disillusioned.  I hate crumb piecing.

It's harder and harder to finish a block.  I just don't have the  right size or colour strips.  I start putting bits in the bin, instead of trying to fit them into the jigsaw of my blocks.  I HATE all the mess!!

At that point it's time to pack it all away and let it sit in the cupboard for a while.  I know that I will accumulate another pile of interesting scraps, and then I'll be able to finish the blocks I started, and make a whole new stack of them.  You can't rush crumb piecing, it's a progression, not a straightforward process.  My quilt will be all the more interesting if I take longer to make it.  It's definitely not a quilt-in-a-day.

6 comments:

Linda in TX 1:30 AM  

I really love your posts, Keryn. I've been reading you for the past year or so and never fail to find something new to try, something I never thought of, a new interest, or even a good laugh when I read what you've posted. Thanks for sharing!!!

Jan 11:52 AM  

Isn't that the truth? Crumb and string piecing is fun, and then, all of the sudden, it becomes tedious!

Quilter Kathy 12:20 AM  

That was so fun to read! And exactly captures how I feel about crumb piecing! Thanks for the smile today!

julieQ 5:01 AM  

Love your crumbly goodness!! I hae to leave it a bit...then I come back and love it!

Alycia~Quiltygirl 11:14 AM  

Those are cool blocks - want some scraps LOL

Sheila 2:57 PM  

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post. You drew me in ... Funny :D

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP