Tuesday, October 11, 2011

I had every intention of finishing the Flyfoot top yesterday, but my day was hi-jacked by Dolly.  She got a grass seed in her ear around 11am, and the earliest vet appoinment I could get was 4.15.  She was in a lot of discomfort,  so with Mereth's help I put some olive oil in her ear, which coats the awns of the grass seed and stops it working it's way further in.  But she was still a miserable puppy, and wanted to sit on my lap all the time.  I was working, so she had to be on the floor, and contented herself with sitting between my feet, head on one side and looking woeful.  Every time I moved she scuttled after me for reassurance, right under my feet;I felt like I was wading through a sea of dogs.

At the vets he anaethsetised her and dug the offending grass seed out, and micro-chipped her as well.  If she had to have a great big needle stuck in her neck at least she didn't know anything about it. I'm glad she doesn't weigh a few kilos more, she's on the edge of what I can safely carry; I sit her up over my shoulder like a baby, but Pippi is too big for that.

Home we went with the patient, who was recovering rapidly, and spent the next few hours frantically trying to lick my face, while staggering into the furniture and losing her balance.  She acts like a happy drunk, leering at me as if to say 'I LOVE you!  I reeeaally do!' and bumping into everything on her wobbly legs.

So the top didn't get finished yesterday.  But today I was determined to get it all in one piece.  About 7 hours later, it's done.


I don't know why on earth I thought I had enough of the yellow fabric to do the whole border; it didn't come close.  I had to hunt down every last scrap to make the side borders long enough, and then I needed something to fill up the corners.  I had heaps of HSTs left, and the Shoofly block was the easiest way to make  a block that was 6" finished to match the border.  It's cute, it's done, but it took way longer than I thought it would.  Will I ever learn to plan my quilts out properly?

3 comments:

Karen 12:05 AM  

I don't know what a grass seed is but it must hurt a lot. We have emergency clinics for pets. Do you? I don't have a pet any more but have notice a couple of the clinics in our area.

Your Flyfoot looks good. I like the pieced inner border and the blocks you added to the corner.

Jan 3:48 AM  

Your quilt turned out so much like the inspiration quilt. It really is amazing. I like the individual touch though - the shoofly corners, and those two Dutchman's Puzzle blocks you snuck in there. You cheeky monkey!
Glad to hear your pup didn't have to suffer long. You are a good mom :)

Jan Mac 8:52 AM  

I love your new quilt top and the creative use of those corner blocks. Also loved the description of "wading though a sea of dogs". Happy to know that Dolly is OK again.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP