I made a start on joining the blocks last night, but realised one thing really quickly.
The blocks I've already made are somewhat, um, individual in their measurements.
Out of 14 there are maybe 6 that I can use with this setting method. There is just no room to manouvre with a set-in seam; there's no wiggle room left. So the blocks that just won't do will go into another project, and when I start constructing the next lot of blocks I will take a lot more care to see that they come out right.
I think I swapped sewing machines halfway through these blocks, and also changed the method of piecing them, when I realised they were going askew. As much as I liked the way I started with, sort of sewing in rows throughout the block, it just didn't stay nice and square.
It's a good thing I'm in the mood to be persnickety, and take my time over these blocks; sometimes I just want to quickly arrive at the finished top, and other times I want to concentrate on enjoying every seam and patch. This is one of those quilts.