I'm a bit sick of being bossed around by my patchwork. I should be like Judy and plan everything out before I start cutting fabric. But that's not the way I work, so I will have to accept that I'm the sort of quilter who wings it at every stage. I just wish the tops would be a bit more vocal about what they want, before I've made a zillion units that are just wrong for the quilt.
I made this top last year in January, determined to use up every scrap. As if that were ever going to happen. It seemed unfinished, I knew it needed a border, and needed to be longer and a little wider, but I was sick of it and left it sitting on the clothes rack for a whole year.
Then all the HSTs seemed to be the answer, and I made the mistake of thinking pinwheels was what the quilt said. Apparently not, they were violently rejected as soon as I put them on the design wall. But I made about 50! And I was also mistaken in thinking I was just going to slap it all together no matter how it looked. Muttering curses I went back to tthe sewing machine and my eye fell on some little blocks I'd put together and set aside; just 4 HSTs all in the same orientation. Hmmm, I already had quite a few....
Well, they were just what the quilt was looking for, so then it was only a matter of making enough for the top and bottom borders, and attaching them.
The next top to be dealt with it this Plaid one; (there are 6 spare blocks, but the quilt is big enough already, so looks like I'll be making another quilt in this pattern)