Tuesday, April 22, 2014


The weekend went by too fast, even for  a four-day weekend.  I worked non-stop, gardening, cleaning, organising, so I got heaps done, but there's lots more to do.  Luckily we have another long weekend at the end of this week,  our Anzac Day is on Friday, so I have another chance to get some big jobs off the list.

Of course, all I really wanted to do was get that applique border finished, and I'm almost there.  I'm not showing much of it yet, I'll save that for the reveal post, but this is the first finished corner.
I have three left to do; I did all the remaining vines on Friday, prepped the leaves on Saturday, and finished the applique Monday afternoon.  Then I sewed like a mad person, putting the borders together and attaching them to the top.  Let's just say that it would have been a whole lot easier if the border fabric hadn't needed seams to be matched and corners to be mitred.  The pattern sloped, so I had to cut it slightly off grain, and the repeats didn't match up particularly well, so the whole thing took a lot of fudging.  I think I'm over it right now, a bit jaded, but I"m sure that I'll love it again, as soon as it's completely done and I don't have to work out any more design issues.  My next quilt is going to be Easy. Peasy.  No thinking necessary.

I think it's time to put this stack of Log Cabin blocks together; that should give me a quick finish, and I'll be encouraged by that.
The next UFO will probably be this one;
 it needs borders, but nothing has occurred to me yet, after more than 8 years.   I might just put a triple border of skinny strips on it, and move on to the next project.  I could take the time to piece an intricate border for this one, or I could use that handwork time to make progress on another UFO.

 I think what my applique project has taught me is that my time is limited; spending so much of it on one project means there is no time left for anything else; no spinning, no knitting, no quilting.  From now on I'll have to aim for a more balanced approach to hand work.


4 comments:

Razzle Dazzle Quilter 4:50 PM  

Why not be modern and finish without borders? I think that could look great.

Linda

Dasha 5:07 PM  

The crumbs you are showing of the applique border are just fabulous! Can't wait to see the end result.
I'm in awe of the UFOs you have completed since I started following you. Feel like doing some of mine?? LOL

Diane-crewe 5:27 PM  

you are really steaming along with all your projects xx Loving the sneaky peeks xx

Jan 10:23 AM  

Oh, the six pointed star quilt will be gorgeous!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP