Friday, July 17, 2015

I didn't finish clearing up the mess from the last quilts; somehow I was sidetracked into playing with my batiks, and now there's a new layer of fabric and scraps on top of the old mess.

I suppose I should get all militant and tough, and force myself to clean up, but I doubt that will happen.  I have a horrible cold/flu, and the batiks are a distraction and a bright spot while I indulge in being ill.
I cut up a whole jellyroll, but that wasn't enough variety, so I cut strips from a heap of FQs and added them in to the mix.  Then I raided another jellyroll and pulled out anything that would go with what was on the design wall.  I still wish I had more variety, but I think I have enough pieces to make a 72" square quilt, and that will do for starters.

I don't feel comfortable working with batiks, I love the fabrics close up, but when I step back from the design wall it just looks like mud and grunge.  Sigh....  I just feel like no-one has told me the rules for this game yet, so I have no idea what is going wrong.

I know the answer is to keep working with these fabrics, and keep making quilts and learning, but it's a bit discouraging to go back to beginner status.  Maybe it wasn't such a good idea to start this when I'm sick, but at least it's taking my mind off my physical symptoms. 

5 comments:

Dasha 4:10 PM  

Would it improve it in your mind to include a contrasting bright? White? Mind you from here it looks lovely.

Brenda 6:47 PM  

I have a liove hate relationship with them. My most used quilt by guests was my batik quilt and my niece has it. Don't buy them anymore but feel I probably have a couple more in me. I feel your pain with the cold. Say 14 for me and just over it.

Mayleen 7:23 PM  

I love batiks but its rare that I use them simply because there's so much other fabric to choose from. I do know the feeling, though, that happen when my fabric choices don't work the way I thought they would. I hope you feel better soon!

Laura in IA 10:02 PM  

Maybe you would like batiks just mixed with your other quilt fabrics instead of all together with each other. For a batik quilt it looks exactly as it should.

jude's page 9:15 AM  

Well I think your "mud and grunge" looks pretty good.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP