Monday, October 05, 2026

Trail Mix Progress

 The Trail Mix blocks I'm making are harvest colours; orange and peach and gold and green, with the occasional blue thrown in. I'm liking it, but now that I'm putting rows together it's becoming obvious that it's not going to have nicely nested seams. My pet peeve is having to mash seams together and press them into submission; I go out of my way to avoid having to do this. So the top is going to be only 60" square, and that will be enough to clear out a lot of those fabrics from the scrap and strip drawers. I don't  even like those warm colours particularly, I'm much more drawn to blue/green combinations, so I won't mourn the passing of these scraps.


A lot of them are from a wholesale mystery order from about 2010, when we could order boxes of 1800s repro bolts for a ridiculous price, sight unseen. Some of those fabrics were truly awful, but most were last season odds and ends and we were glad to have them. If only we'd known that that category of fabric was losing popularity, and would almost disappear in the future, maybe we wouldn't have sold so many in our shop. We're still using up what remains, and saying goodbye to some favourites, and there's not a lot to replace them. The stash comes into its own....



I don't know what I'll work on next. I only need another 10 blocks to complete this project, so I had better start thinking about what will be the focus after this. UFOs? A new project? Adding to the boxes of blocks that are ongoing? Assembling some of those blocks into an actual top? I'm still in the mood for something easy, that doesn't require a huge amount of attention. I might have to go back to the Log Cabin blocks while I decide.


 

2 comments:

Gretchen Weaver,  11:15 PM  

This pattern is on my list to make someday. Log Cabin blocks are always a great project to work on. My go to block is 4 patches. Happy stitching!

Gypsy Quilter Designs,  10:21 AM  

Your new top has a nice collection of muted shades, but to be honest, I'm not sure what I would have done with those colors either.

While trying to eliminate some not-so-great fabrics, I made up 41 dog bandanas for the local humane society. The kind that slide onto the collars. They were grateful to get them, and I was glad to be rid of the fabric. Another outlet I donate to are local art teachers. Their budget is minimal and they can often make projects out of anything. My entire trimming of all fabrics bag goes to an art teacher.

Keep up the good work. We always appreciate what you have time to share. Sure hope your cold is better. Greetings to your sister.

San / Gypsy Quilter Designs / North Carolina, USA

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP