Sunday, January 11, 2009

These quiltathons are a good idea, I can certainly get a lot of sewing accomplished, but it wrecks my sleep patterns. I was up till 4am last night (or this morning, depending on how you look at it). I've had 5 hours sleep, and don't feel all that bad, but I think I will have to have a nap this afternoon, thus wasting valuable sewing time. Drats.

My 2.5" strips situation was getting dire; I sewed 5 quilts from them and the drawer still wouldn't close. On Friday night I resolved that I would get rid of every existing strip. It was an admirable goal, but I don't think I'll be able to do it in one weekend.

This top used up all of the blue and brown strips, including most of a collection of hectic light blues that overwhelm any fabric they're teamed with. I was on the point of binning them, but they found a reprieve here. The navys and dark browns subdue their brightness to a point where I can live with them. This was super quick to make; I just sewed a light and dark strip together and cut equal numbers of 6.5" and 2.5" slices. Then I arranged them in rows to get the pattern, and played around till I liked the balance of colour. I sewed it in a day, but I have to admit it was a looooonng day. It was so simple that it was fun all the time, and there were no nasty seams to match up. Loved it.

Then I pulled out all the medium browns and the pinks, and cut them up into squares, for nine patches. I am well over my aversion to 9 patches, obviously! These will be leader-ender squares.But there were still a heap of reds, and greens, and lots of wishy washy strips left. So I decided all the reds and nuetrals would become these blocks, because they are super simple, and no nasty seam intersections either.And then whatever is left is going into a Roman Stripe. I am committed to using up every last bit. We'll see how that goes, once my rational, reasoning mind kicks in. I just know I'm going to try and make it look 'nice', and before you know it I'll have cut a pile of strips and I'll be back where I started.

14 comments:

Vicki W 1:52 PM  

Wow, you are on a roll! I really like the blue/brown quilt A LOT!

Patty 1:56 PM  

I sure like how your brown and blue quilt turned out. It doesn't look like a quick quilt; it looks like you spent a lot of time on it!

Maggie A 2:30 PM  

Love the blue and brown.

Joanne 6:59 PM  

Also loving the blue and brown! Someone told me once that staying up too late is stealing from tomorrow! Pity I often don't listen.

marilyn 3:02 AM  

I love that top quilt. That is going on my to do list for sure! But I don't have any strips cut yet. I know what I am going to be doing this week ;)

julieQ 1:51 PM  

I love the idea of sewing until the wee hours, but I have to go to work at 6AM!! Your quilt is lovely. OK, now are you going to do a DD like dear sis??

tami 10:56 PM  

I love the blue and brown quilt. I think I'm going to have to try that pattern. I love the simplicity.
You are so prolific with your quilting. What do you do with them all? I don't think I have ever seen you mention.

Helen 7:36 AM  

What a beautiful quilt top! What an ingenious idea!

Ginny 6:09 PM  

I really like the brown and blue quilt. Thanks for the inspiration for my boys room!

Melody A. 5:33 AM  

What a great quilt!!! love the pattern and will try it out, I am like you , I want them to still look a certain way so in the end I still have bits left over. Happy Sewing from Iowa

Marcia in TX 11:47 PM  

That is beautiful. Thank you for posting it.

Happy Grandma 7:55 PM  

You did a beautiful job combining your strips! I’ve been wanting an easy pattern for a quick top; I think I’ve found it! I really enjoyed reading about your bargain machines, also. Thank you for your post. Happy Sewing!!

carefreemary 11:51 PM  

Now I know what to do with my new AccuQuilt GO, and the 2.5 strip die — thanks for the inspiration! I have TONS of scraps, so maybe I’ll plunge into my REDS.

Navymom25 3:48 PM  

Please tell me there’s a pattern (written or digital I’d buy either) for this quilt. I love the light blues and browns. So beautiful, I would love to try it.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP