Saturday, March 01, 2014

Bonnie Hunter is making lozenges for her leader-ender project, and the antique quilt that inspired her is the same one that I copied several years ago.  I started it here, and finished it here, and quilted it here.  Then it went off to be photographed for Homespun magazine, 
 and was published in Vol. 114, sometime in 2012.

Sad to say, it's never been on my bed, not with my gallumping great fool of a dog leaping onto the bed several times a day.  She likes to scritch around in the quilts and make a nest for herself, and that's not going to happen to my nice quilts.

I realised I never photographed it truly finished, so that's what I did this morning, down in the shed.
 I love the fabrics I used in this, there were some very strange Judie Rothermels that just didn't go with my usual fabrics, but they found a home here. 
I had a lot of fun with this.
I didn't do the flippy corners, I cut the hexagon shapes with the Creative Grids House ruler, and cut the 1.5" triangles with the Go Cutter.  The instructions in the magazine are for flippy corners, because not everyone would have access to the tools I used for mine.  And flippy corners are free, and very simple.  My method was simple and easy, but not cheap.  So if you want to sew along with Bonnie, and use her method, the rectangles would be 8" x 3.5", and the squares for the flippy corners 2". 

5 comments:

Kristie 3:00 PM  

I fell in love with your quilt! I remembered seeing it on your blog and decided that someday I wanted to make one of those too. I love all of your quilts as I also want to make the green triple irish chain that you posted the other day. :)
Kristie

Sue SA 8:00 AM  

Love this quilt, such gorgeous fabrics. I was missing my leaders and enders project, so very tempted, thanks for the measurements.
Thanks for the contact details about the antique machine guy, but unfortunately the needle he/thought would fit my Peter Pan didn't - he said they fit the USA and UK toy machines! Might just have to admire it rather then play with it.

Jan 4:34 PM  

Oh, I remember your quilt very well. It is wonderful! Would you mind sharing the size of the rectangles you cut?

Valerie 3:27 AM  

I too, had seen that Bonnie was doing this and remembered that you had made this quilt. I couldn't remember when, so just started searching through your archives, took me a while but I finally found your posts on it. Came back later only to find that you had put up all the links. I like the more elongated look of your units, so I think I will use your measurements instead. I love how yours turned out, I think I will use reproductions for mine also.

Karen 1:18 PM  

You have such a knack in making very scrappy quilts. And you answered my question about how you created the shapes.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP