Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Keeping busy

This is our shop, in Crystal Brook.  
It's called Quilts and Collectibles, and we've stocked it with a range of our quilts, some fabric, and many of the gorgeous little things we've collected over the years.  The things in the shop are what we're prepared to part with, we still have lots of treasures at home. Mereth keeps producing wonderful things that I've never seen before, she must have so much stashed away.  I never really had to monitor how much I had, because I have so much storage room; but I'm finally wanting a bit more space, so certain select things are going into the shop.
There are three of us stocking and running it, and we're having fun meeting fellow enthusiasts from all over Australia.  There are so many people travelling in caravans, and they visit our little towns to get an idea of country life. It's interesting to talk to people who've been on the road for a year; I'm pretty sure I couldn't manage without my sewing room for that long.
We've sold a lot of quilts, now there is room on the shelves at home for more, so we can get quilting soon, knowing there is somewhere to put them.  Tops take up much less room, but I have a hankering to finish some of my favourites.
I've had that Royal Winton tea set since 1981; I was moving up to Queensland and I traded all my household furniture for this tea set.  Mereth looked after it for me until I came back in 2007, and I've enjoyed it ever since.  It was a setting for 8, so I kept 2 trios, and a cake plate and sugar bowl, and the rest can go home with someone who loves it.
I made a trial block of my Hunter's Star and scorched it; I am such a klutz at times.  I'll leave it for now, and make the other blocks I have cut out.  I may not need this one, but if I do I can pull it apart and replace the scorched fabric then.  I make so much extra work for myself sometimes.
While I"m manning the shop I've been working on my Moorland blanket, from Attic 24.  It's easy, and I'm always trying to get one more row done.  I'm over half way, and enjoying it so much that I think I'll do one of her other blankets, next winter.  It's getting too hot here to be making rugs.
I'm selling a few of my machines too, they are a talking point with the older folk who come in.  Sometimes it's like we're a little museum, inspiring all these memories in people.

6 comments:

Gretchen Weaver 1:47 AM  

If I lived anywhere close to you, I would certainly stop in and browse your shop. I'd bring a car load of friends along too. Love the blues in your Hunters Star. I also have scorched fabric but I love a hot iron.

Gypsy Quilter 2:00 AM  

So many pretty treasures. Very glad to hear your quilts are selling well and you're meeting new folks. If I were closer, I'd snatch up that beautiful china. Dishes are my next favorite thing to collect, next to fabric!

Sue SA 5:22 AM  

What a great idea to set up a shop and enjoy selling your lovely things and beautiful quilts.

Bag End Gardener 5:30 AM  

My goodness, you have some beautiful things :-). I wish I could tour past you on a trip in our caravan - I bet I would be over-weight by the time I left!

Lori 9:42 AM  

Oh, the perfect shop. TREASURES!

Sandy 1:28 AM  

I want to visit your shop! Too bad it's half a world away :-(

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP