Monday, June 09, 2014

After a full night's work I finished the blue crosses quilt.  It would have been a whole lot easier if I hadn't chosen to use the border fabric, but I do love the effect of it.

Just lately I seem to be giving myself a lot of design challenges with my UFOs, and it must be because I enjoy it.  Otherwise why would I keep doing it?

The corners are wonderful, I love the way the pattern continues; I enjoyed making these mitre seams, they weren't hard at all.  The same can't be said for the rest of the border.  I had serious doubts if I could finish it without adding another fabric, there just wasn't enough to do it easily.  But I pieced in every last scrap, including the bits discarded from the mitred corners, and there was enough.
7 extra seams on that bottom piece to make it long enough.  The border was printed on both edges of the coverlet fabric, but they didn't match exactly, which made joining the pieces harder than it should have been.  There was fudging and a lot of fiddling, but I'm happy with the way it ended up.  Once it's quilted the extra seams in the border will be less noticeable.

My design wall is empty again!!  What a lovely feeling.  Now I'm going back to working on the Wild Goose Chase blocks, while I decide what to do next.  The UFO list is getting smaller, only 25 left to go, but all of them are not easy finishes.  Whatever I choose to work on will take a bit of effort but that's OK too.

These King's Crown blocks are one possiblilty, there are 30 of them and plenty more cut out; I'm absolutely determined to set them together simply, and just put a border or two on them.  Nothing complicated.
I can't believe that I'm still obsessed with finishing old projects instead of starting new ones.  I don't think this has ever happened to me before :)

9 comments:

Dasha 2:45 PM  

Brilliant mitering! Don't worry about your obsession with UFOs. That is what you want to do, so go for it. Better finished than languishing in a cupboard prey to moths. You can come and finish mine if you wish LOL

Maggie A 3:48 PM  

Lovely....the border is just lovely

Chookyblue...... 3:51 PM  

you have done a ridiculously amazing job on the border fabric.......I would have quit for sure.......the fabric is so worth it though it is stunning and worth the effort.......love that quilt....
keep going on the old ones you will not stay in the groove for a Long time so 'strike while the irons hot"....

Chookyblue...... 3:51 PM  

you have done a ridiculously amazing job on the border fabric.......I would have quit for sure.......the fabric is so worth it though it is stunning and worth the effort.......love that quilt....
keep going on the old ones you will not stay in the groove for a Long time so 'strike while the irons hot"....

Diane-crewe 5:21 PM  

well done for keeping going .. well worth the effort put in xx

Sue SA 8:44 PM  

I love the fabric for the final border, you did a great job of making the design go around the corner and matching it up at the joins. Looks fantastic.

Karen 9:54 PM  

You pulled it together on the border. I didn't see how you could do it but making maximum use of every scrap did it. It looks so good!

Michelle 11:07 PM  

Looks fantastic...........
I'm glad you got it to work out in the end.

Lisa D. 6:02 AM  

Wow, that border fabric is absolutely stunning. It totally makes the quilt how you have it all matched up perfectly. Brilliant!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP