Saturday, July 02, 2011

Life has been insanely busy just lately, and this weekend will be no exception.  I'm just taking a moment to post a few pictures before I go back to work.  I have a monthly digital pattern club that is due out in two days time, so I have to get all those designs tidied up and ready to send.  Busy busy busy.

I have done so much travelling lately, and that cuts into my time in a big way, but it's unavoidable.  I've had to take both computers to the computer guy, in two separate trips, and he lives 45 minutes away.  Then there have been trips to drop things off for customers, and shopping excursions for essentials.  I love the scenery and and the actual driving, but it means I have to stay up late catching up on work.  I'm seriously sleep deprived.


We popped into an op-shop the other day, in between other chores, and I spied a couple of handmade cushions high up on top of a set of shelves.

I had to climb up and get them, but I'm glad I did.  I can't believe all the work in these, and the colours are just wonderful.
Someone took so much trouble to stitch the needlepoint, but then not so much trouble to finish them.
  Very dodgy way to make a cushion cover....

But for my $2.50 I got a huge section of needlepoint, a pillow form and a metre of cream homespun that is very good quality.
Bargain.  The other cushion was put together with a bit of sheeting and a commercial pillow from the '60s, that was stuffed with shredded stockings and underwear.  EWWW!! That lot went in the bin quicksmart.  I will block the needlepoint to square it up and get rid of those ripples, and then I think I'll have both pieces framed.  I know it will be a loong, long time before I get to stitch any needlepoint pictures of my own.

6 comments:

Anonymous,  8:52 AM  

Lovely to see things being rescued from Op shops - so much needlework is unappreciated by those who do not stitch themselves...perhaps they were from an estate, and family thought they were not worth anything. Good to know they will be loved for a long time yet.

sewprimitive karen 11:17 AM  

What an amazing buy. Perfect for framing!

Michelle 11:57 AM  

Underwear? Yikes! I'm sure it made sense to someone at the time they put it in there... and that they never expected someone else to be taking it apart!

Razzle Dazzle Quilter 3:23 PM  

Hi Keryn
Great opshop find. I'm a bit of an op shopper too, well actually I work in an opshop. Amazing what you can find there!
I have been trying to access your Irish Star PDF purchase but I dont seem to be able to get there - I just keep getting an error message.
Do you have a picture of a whole quilt?
Cheers from New Zealand
Linda

Meggie 3:23 AM  

Do love the Op Shop finds. And love seeing Dolly's adorable face.

Dora, the Quilter 1:44 AM  

I love your thrift shop find. It breaks my heart when I see so many hours of labor and so much beauty discarded by unappreciative people. I'm so glad you rescued it!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP