Tuesday, April 05, 2016

Not much sewing going on round these parts lately, I've been busy with other things.  I've been to visit my DD twice, taken the car to various places to have work done on it. I've gone to the postie job each morning, then started work on the computer after I come home from there. I babysat Tawny out at the farm for four days. I've wrestled with an old orange wool blanket because a customer requested a new binding (it didn't want to cooperate).  I've worked on bookwork and taxes, cleaned up my kitchen and walked the dog, and I haven't sewn a single stitch for a week.  I think I need a mental health sewing day tomorrow.

I bought a Martelli rotary cutter to see if it's comfortable to use; I would like to find a way to cut while sitting down, my back and feet ache after a big cutting session so it would be great to be able to do the long cuts standing up and all the little subdividing cuts while sitting down. I need to find a chair or stool that will put me at the right height for that.

 The purple cutter is for my DD, who asked for a cutter, ruler and mat set; she says she wants to make curtains, but I'm sure I can lead her astray into patchwork.
These simple blocks are on my design wall, with the sashing all cut, ready for me to sew them together.  I have the border fabrics picked and everything, I just have to find the time to sit down and do it.  Once I start work on it I will want to see it finished, so I should just get on with it.
My leader-ender project grew quite a bit while I was working on the tops I completed recently.  I have 24 rows pieced, out of 60.  Still a long way to go, but it's almost at the halfway point, and it's been entirely painless so far.  What a nice little project!

4 comments:

Chookyblue...... 8:05 PM  

I can't sit to cut...........
When I know I am going to be standing at he bench for a long time cutting I put on my comfy shoes.......
also I have a timber floor so I have a cushy soft carpet square to stand on in my cutting space......cost me a few $$ from my flooring shop...sample throw outs.....

Tammy Hutchinson 1:17 AM  

I like cutting smaller pieces while sitting also, and I like using a smaller rotary blade, a 28mm blade on a small Olfa cutter. Little pieces, little blade. I like your leader/ender project strips. Do you have a plan for using them?

Pam in KC 4:17 AM  

I love my Martelli cutter, but it did have a bit of a learning curve - I kept veering off to the right away from the ruler. Now, it is my #1 go-to cutter -- I think I have 3 or 4.

Bag End Gardener 8:00 AM  

Hi Keryn, I came across to visit to thank you for the comment left on my blog today. What a lovely shock/surprise - I did not know you were a 'Bag End' visitor and I'm flattered and honoured that you read my blog. I've been a longarmer for nearly 20 years now, I was one of the first in England, your quilting designs are still some of my most favourite patterns, thank you. You won't remember but we briefly met many years ago at MQS in Springfield, think it may have been 1991 or 1992.

Now I have found your blog I will enjoy reading about your Staffy crew (as well as the quilting!). Take care, and once again, thank you.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP