Friday, December 13, 2019

I've been spending my nights kitting up Ohio Star blocks, and thought I'd show you how I do it.


I cut the triangles out with my Go die; it cuts 8 of each fabric at a time, which is enough for the star points of a block, or the background bits for 2 blocks, or the inner triangles for 2 blocks. The squares are cut 2.5", and I already have a big stash of those from previous projects.
I cut out heaps of triangles and then sit down and sort out what I want to put together.  Each little set of pieces gets put in a snack sized baggie, and 10 of them go into a sandwich size bag.  It makes counting kits easy, I can see at a glance I have 22 in this tray.
When I have time to sew, I will concentrate on sewing the Hour Glass units first.
I make Hour Glass units for up to 10 blocks at a time.  I have to be in the mood for precision sewing to do this, so that they are accurate and measure 2.5" exactly.
Here they're all laid out with their matching pieces, waiting to go back into their snack bags.
When I don't feel like precision sewing, or I only have a few minutes between other chores, I grab a block or two and put them together.


It's just as easy as sewing a nine-patch now, and if I've sewn the Hour Glasses properly then everything matches perfectly.


By doing it in stages like this I make the best use of my time and I match the sewing to how I feel.  The good thing is that some nights I suddenly have 10 blocks finished, without much effort, and that's like magic.

7 comments:

Curious Daylily 1:46 AM  

I wish I could work to that pace. If I sit at the sewing machine, I'm can't seem to pry myself away. :-) But I'm working on the habit of a 15-minute sew.

ThreadCatcher 4:36 AM  

Great way to kit up these blocks! What size triangle die are you using?
Thanks for sharing.

Sue SA 9:13 AM  

Thanks that's a great idea, especially because I have rounded up 1000 previously used empty ziplock bags that I don't know what to do with but cannot throw out! I have the free die that came with my Go cutter for the 4.5" square, 2.5" square and the 2.5" HST, but not the quarter square triangle.....but I am going to give it try to see if I can replicate this....because during a week long heat wave what else is a girl going to do but cut and sew fabric!

Chantal 6:10 AM  

I kit up blocks too. I use vegetable or fruit plastic container that have snap-on lids. I call them my sewing capsule. When I am too wind-up to fall asleep, I open one and sew. It usually work after the third of fourth, lol.
Love the fabric you used. Gorgeous block. ;^)

qypsyquilterdesigns 11:00 AM  

Wonderful idea. Sure wish I had a Go cutter, it would make things go much faster. Love that background corner fabric. I have it in red and love it so much, have saved it for something special. You know how that goes. LOL. Thanks for sharing.

jude's page 4:50 PM  

THanks for showing how you do it, and love your organisation, in the midst of your busy life.

Bag End Gardener 8:38 PM  

I have not been very good at keeping up with blogs this year, but wanted to send Christmas blessings from my house to yours. xx

Thinking of you and everyone 'Down Under'. Your devastating fires are mentioned on nearly every news report (which is unusual in a country where our news is nearly always focussed on Europe and America).

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP