Monday, April 03, 2023

Progress Report

I'm starting to spend time in the sewing room more regularly, and there is progress on  a few fronts. I've cut many strips to use in this; I still haven't tracked down a name, or thought of one, so it's just the batik quilt for now.


It uses a lot of the same fabrics as the Plus quilt that I gave to my son a few years ago, and there are pieces left over from that quilt which have found a home here. There are also a heap of pieces cut for a brown Plus quilt, so I could probably move on to that once this is finished. My mind always drifts ahead to think about what is next, and I should just be enjoying the one I'm working on.

I have 16 of these blocks now, and they'll go into a project box for now. I wanted to fine tune the piecing process, so that those seam intersections met at all the important places, but it kept eluding me. Finally I think I've nailed it, but I've used up most of the scraps I was using for this, so it can wait a while till I generate more. A big consideration in pausing this was the realisation that many of these scraps were from fabric used in my Dear Jane top. I still haven't done the border triangles, and if I use up all the scraps from that then I'll have to hunt down new fabric to finish it.  So I printed out the triangle template, and I'll start putting material aside for that.

I have 14 of these Washington Sidewalk blocks made, and the triangles cut for another 9. I love making them, but I'm confusing myself with so many projects on the go, so these also will go away at least until I finish the batik quilt. (Millhouse, made of Perler beads, supervises my sewing. My eldest grand-daughter made him for me years ago, and he still makes me smile.)

As well as trying to work on three projects I was also working on three leader-enders, which definitely contributed to the overwhelm.


 I have piles of Flying Geese, 6" blocks made of squares and some rectangle blocks to use up already pieced strips. I need to simplify it all, so I'm just going to have the Flying Geese as my leader-ender for now, and keep amassing pieces for the others.


4 comments:

Gretchen Weaver 6:42 PM  

You have some lovely quilts in progress, happy stitching!

cbott 1:40 PM  

Your mystery pattern may be a variation on (or the original of) Garlic Knot.

Carolyn

Gypsy Quilter Designs 10:15 AM  

My goodness, you are on a roll!

The batik quilt reminds me of one entitled "Turtles" seen years ago. A small head and tail were appliqued at each end. I cannot for the life of me recall where I saw that photo, perhaps in a quilt magazine.

Thank you so much for sharing all of your wonderful ideas.

San / Gypsy Quilter Designs / Murphy, North Carolina, USA

cbott 2:46 AM  

Saw a similar quilt today (similar to your mystery), identified as "2022 Positivity tutorial at Sew Preeti." Perhaps that's it?

Carolyn

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP