Tuesday, December 12, 2023

Cleaning up

I've been jumping from project to project for quite some time, and sewing haphazardly on varous new ideas, before abandoning it all to do another thing. It was a mess, and finally it got so I couldn't work in all the litter anymore. So I started to tidy up.


I sorted out all the various things I'd been dabbling with.

Shirting Spinning Rectangles, with leftovers from my Zigzag top. So many leftovers. 


I have 32 of these, and many more pieces.

Flying Geese leader-enders. I now have 210.


Lots of 3" triangles, leader-enders again. These will go in the project box with 70 or so others.


Another Carolina Chain, because I enjoyed the last one, and there were leftovers from that, and I like making these blocks. 12 more to add to the box.


And some madness made me start stringing together all the shirt collars from the many, many shirts Mereth and I have collected. I made my first shirt quilt in 2018 I think, and though I've made many more, I still have some of those first ones. And I saved all the collars and cuffs and yokes, to make something string pieced.


The amount of fabric in the side of a shirt collar that doesn't have interfacing is pretty small, same with the cuffs. After about 16 blocks I was running out of choices, so I had to raid the scrap box for other strange shaped offcuts. I cut a strip off the yokes, and the remaining shoulder and neck bits were pieced into this.


It's not pretty, but it's frugal! I think I'll make a piano key border out of the Zigzag leftovers, because I found a heap of them already sewn together. I have no memory of doing that, but it was probably a leader-ender move.

Mereth always tells me to chuck out the little weeny bits, and now I'm inclined to agree with her. I looked at the overflowing box of dark shirt collars, and put them all in the bin. I have boxes of patchwork fabric strings to deal with, and I'd rather be working on them. 

3 comments:

Rose Marie 12:06 AM  

I can see where you are going to have fun next year! Lots of projects already in partially completed stages.

Cherie Moore 1:24 AM  

Cheers!! I also made the decision to toss the cuffs and collars. I also started discarding the cutoffs when cutting strips from the sleeves....except if there's a big enough piece to make a nice sized triangle. It's disease, right?

Gypsy Quilter Designs 6:20 AM  


As usual, you're outpacing us all! And of course, bring great inspiration. We really appreciate the fact that you share so many wonderful color combinations and pattern ideas.

Is there an art teacher in the area who could use left over bits and bobs? I save all of my trimmings in a tall trash can, bag it up and hand it over to some art teachers. They have very little budget here to buy supplies for their students.

Wishing you and yours a lovely holiday.

Sandy / Gypsy Quilter Designs / Murphy, NC, USA

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP