Tuesday, November 26, 2013

I'm devestated. I did something really stupid yesterday.  I needed to do some mending, and I was too lazy to get out the Janome 6500.  I patched some work pants, and I BROKE my beloved Singer 538.


That bottom gear should measure another half inch; what's left of it is in pieces all through the bottom case.  I'm as shattered as the gear; I have so many other machines, but I've never had such perfect patchwork with any of them.

I should have known not to try heavy duty sewing on such an aged machine with nylon gears.  Metal gears would have coped fine, but these were just waiting to break, they are so brittle.  I hastened the end though.

God bless Ebay, help is at hand.
 
It will take a while to get my darling fixed, but I will sew on her again.

 Until then, I will have to use my 631, which is a lovely machine; it's a slant shank, and it's very nice to sew on.  I'm still fine-tuning the quarter inch seam, I haven't found the perfect spot to guide the fabric yet, but I'll just keep working on it.
I do like the little fold-up table at the side, it makes for a very nice work surface.
 But I still miss my 538. Sob.....

1 comments:

Sandy 12:09 PM  

Oh, bummer! tho... apparently you can get it fixed, and how wonderful you have a machine that produces accurate 1/4" seams! With that I still struggle, but I have to admit I have much better accuracy with my Featherweight than with my Bernina. Love that you can actually work on those old machines, too!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP