Tuesday, December 13, 2011

So what's next on the design wall?  I'm thinking I may work on these blocks, (scroll down to see them) which have been on hold for quite a while. I spent days searching through old CDs, trying to find the ancient ebay photo that was the original inspiration, but Mereth was the one who finally found it on her spare hard drive.

The setting still intrigues me, and I want to try to do it with all those set-in corners.

I think women used this setting because it gives the look of an alternating block, but uses less fabric.  I'll cut 6 7/8" squares, instead of 9" ones.  If I had no easy access to fabric stores, and only a limited amount of the fabric I wanted to use, then it would definitely be a factor in choosing this setting.

If I can't handle all those set in seams, I will turn the block on point and add triangles to the corners.  Then set that block on point.
The alternate squares of pink would be pieced of four triangles then, which I don't want to do, but in the long run it wouldn't be all that noticeable.  But I'll try the plain squares first.

 This antique quilt has the same setting, but the album blocks are aligned on point.
I like this one too, there is a strong secondary pattern happening here.
You could definitely have fun colouring it creatively to get a 3D effect
 I have more examples of this setting, but I'm out of time, I'll post them later.  It's time to go to work at the Post Office, delivering all that Christmas cheer; I see parcels in my sleep these days, but at least eveyone is happy to see me arrive.  Not long till Christmas, and I'm busy busy busy!

4 comments:

Jan 9:32 AM  

This pattern has caught my eye before, too. Your variation gives the same effect. Another great idea!

Laura in IA 11:26 PM  

I am seeing the solid block with pieced triangles around it and the rest of what you consider a block as a possible pieced sashing. Can you see it? I love the way the whole quilt looks

Me and My Stitches 11:57 PM  

I love the old quilts in your pictures - but I know I wouldn't want to tackle those set-in seams! Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Gypsy Quilter 9:52 AM  

Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP