Saturday, November 03, 2012

I had no idea what I wanted to work on first, so I went back to an old project, one I'm keen to see closer to finished.

My Dear Jane has languished for more than three years, but it's time to revisit it.  I can't believe I actually made some of these blocks, they are so complicated!  I still love it, and I'm enjoying working on such a small scale, but all I've managed to finish after a day in the sewing room is one block.  I have 9 others in various stages, just needing a little bit of hand work, but nothing ready to take it's place on the design wall.  All that blank space on the chart is daunting, but I know from past experience that the only way to do this is one block at a time, one row at a time.  I will get there eventually.

The ugly ones are still annoying me though, especially the reeeaally complicated ugly ones.

 What were you aiming for with this one, Jane?

I'l just have to grit my teeth and make them, if I want an authentic Stickle quilt, but seeing I plan to change the border it won't be authentic anyway.  I'll have to think about that one...
 This one would be much nicer if those outer units touching the square were Flying Geese, so I think I will make that minor amendment.  I just won't tell anyone.
This one is ugly, but it won't be hard to piece, so I'll probably just make it without changing anything.  Seems I just resent effort+time=ugly.

May I just say that I would never contemplate making this quilt without the Dear Jane software(Lots of stuff on this site too.) It would take a lot more time to draft up these blocks from a book, and my enthusiasm would wane before I was ready to start sewing.  The software is great (some of the blocks still require creative input, but at least the line drawing is there) and I know I will use it to resize some of the nice blocks to make other quilts.

Maybe I'll make the ugly ones and put them on the back, and substitute a block of my choice on the front?
At least I have the sashing strips attached to the top 4 rows, that helps keep everything organised.  My aim is to have 9 rows sewn together in one piece before I pack this away again, so there won't be much to do  next time I choose to work on it.  That's 28 blocks I need to make, but some of them are easy.  I think I could have that done in two weeks time, and by then my grey Metropolitan Fair material should be here.

And then Bonnie's mystery will start; am I going to do it this year?  I'm tempted.  I'm insane to think of adding to the workload.  I'll probably do it anyway.

4 comments:

Sue SA 2:33 PM  

Toying with idea of doing Bonnie's mystery also, but l don't think that is insane as a Dear Jane! I love to look at Jane quilts but the sheer volume of work puts me off. I think setting yourself some goals is a sensible idea, one bite at a time! We will be quietly cheering you on!

Sue SA 2:33 PM  

Toying with idea of doing Bonnie's mystery also, but l don't think that is insane as a Dear Jane! I love to look at Jane quilts but the sheer volume of work puts me off. I think setting yourself some goals is a sensible idea, one bite at a time! We will be quietly cheering you on!

Andrea 7:16 PM  

I have started the DJ quilt twice in different colourways and abandoned both after about 15 blocks. Have finally admitted that I will never do it and sold my book and software on eBay just 2 weeks ago. In awe of anyone who actually completes the quilt. The Bonnie mystery is calling to me too - although I really shouldn't xx

sewprimitive karen 2:22 AM  

That Jane was a wild one, wasn't she? I think you must have zeroed in on the very ugliest ones. You aren't doing the triangles?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP