Saturday, November 13, 2021

Leader-Ender pieces

I took advantage of the empty design wall to put up my Double 4-patch leader-ender blocks and see what they looked like.



I like those diagonals heading off to the right, caused by darker 3" squares. It's sort of a counterbalance to the red diagonals. I'll need to do some re-arranging to distribute them across the whole top, but I need to have all the blocks made for that.

I was down to the last few pieces, and I still have 28 blocks to make, so I had a cutting session to remedy that. I need about 14 more 3" squares, and that will be enough for the whole thing. These will keep me going for a while.

I also needed pieces for the 2&4 leader-ender that will take over from this when it's finished.
I worked out the dimensions in EQ8, and I think a 60 x 76" quilt will be just right. I know I hate sewing long, long rows together, so I decided to put this together as blocks.
I'll make all of one block first, then all of the second block. I'll need 48, and I'm pressing them so that I can put them together in sets of 4. There will only be a few long rows this way.

The coloured pieces so far have some from scraps and charm squares, and I wanted the light fabrics to come from scraps too. I pulled a heap of bits out of the scrap drawer and cut them into squares and rectangles. All the time I was doing it I had to fight the thought that these were 'good' scraps and I should save them for something else. Honestly, that's crazy talk, when I have 10 times this left in the scrap drawer, and 10 drawers of FQs and yardage. I need to learn how to let go.

Done! Now to cut some more red and blue from the Facebook scraps. My leader-enders are sorted, now it's time to choose a main project. Something new? Or a UFO. I'll have to think about that.


4 comments:

kathy 6:30 AM  

Loved the thought about good scraps . I have it too but I find when I use my "good scraps" I love the finished product. Keep on qulting.

Pauline Oz 9:36 PM  

Oh, I can relate to the “good” comment! I’m glad I’m not the only one thinking that. Earlier this year I spent a couple of days ironing then cutting with my Accuquilt cutter, and now have two boxes of a wide variety of neutrals: one has 3 1/2” squares and 2” strips, the other has 4 1/2” squares and 2 1/2” strips. It helps get stuck into the coloured “good” fabric, with half the cutting done.
Joyce

Unknown 11:55 AM  


wow, gorgeous!

Have you considered starching the fabric so bias doesn't stretch?

Love all of your colors.

San / email: gypsyquilterdesigns@yahoo.com

QuiltGranma 9:31 PM  

Love the "leader ender" quilt, I'll need to make one for myself, really striking!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP