Wednesday, March 14, 2012

It was a hot day yesterday, summer's last hurrah, I guess.  I know true autumn weather isn't far away, I just have to be patient a few more days.  It will be fun to start knitting again, and I finally managed to win an Ebay auction for a drum carder, so I can prepare my fleece for spinning more easily.  I need a lot more hours in the day.

This morning I picked up a huge package from Accuquilt, containing new dies, so I will be playing with those for the rest of the day.  I can't even remember what I ordered, so it will be interesting when I unpack it.


Yesterday was frantically busy, but I managed to get another of these little blocks sewn. 
I'm trying to get the darker grey triangles to stand out, I don't want that light star effect to be prominent, but it seems like that's all I see when I look at it. 
I will have to experiment with lower contrast fabrics in the four large triangles, and that will mean going through the stash and adding some more fabrics into the mix.  That's one of my favourite parts of making a quilt, and I've recently tidied up the stash, so I shouldn't have any problems finding what I want.  Unless I've tidied everything so ruthlessly that I can't find anything anymore, which has happened in the past.

These blocks finish 5.5" square, not very big at all, but I want to make a heap of them, and set them on point, with sashing, and multiple borders, but I don't want it to be a huge quilt.  So I have to start with a small block, to keep the final measurements under control.  Again, I've had trouble with that in the past, when I've been completely surprised  at the size of a finished quilt.  I'm trying to be aware, and EQ7 certainly helps in that regard.  The quilt as I originally drew it, with 8.5" blocks, ended up as 120" wide; good thing I hadn't already started cutting. 

Like Judy, I'm a great fan of Electric Quilt, it's wonderful for planning, and so easy to keep track of final measurements, and all those 'what-if' variations. 


3 comments:

Karen 12:49 PM  

I like to get an idea of how big a quilt might be with different size blocks before making final decisions. EQ is perfect for that.

You are heading to fall and we are heading to spring. A fair trade.

Kerri 1:00 PM  

Pretty blocks! Ooh fun. I wonder what good accuquilt dies you got

Diane-crewe 6:50 PM  

quilts seem to have a mind of their own and GROW when you are not looking lol x

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP