Wednesday, March 07, 2007

I decided it's time I do a truly maverick quilt, and disobey some of the quilting rules. So I'm making these star blocks out of every last little scrap and nibble of my antique reproductions. I've wanted to do a quilt with a Lancaster Blue background for years, but I've never been brave enough to cut into my hoard of the stuff. But now is the time. I'm loving how these are turning out,, but I haven't decided on a final pattern yet.

The first one is paper pieced and has set in seams, which was OK, but a little cumbersome at the end. The second one has an extra seam through the diagonal and is pieced in two halves, allowing it to be entirely paper pieced with no set in seams. I don't know which one I prefer yet, so I will have to make a few more and then decide. They are so much fun, and I'm going to love the look of the final quilt.

My sewing room is a pit! I've chosen to sew in my few spare minutes, instead of restore order, but I'm afraid I will have to do something soon. I can't find anything I need, which is frustrating, so I will take some time tomorrow to sort out the main work areas. I'll enjoy that, even if it means that I can't get any more blocks done straight away. Can't work in a mess....

I went through some upstairs cupboards and found some tins of ancient UFOs, more than 15 years old and all hand pieced. They will sit by my chair in the loungeroom and I'll get the pieces put together and then use them in my orphan block quilt. I can safely say that if I haven't touched them in 15 years then I don't really want to finish them as I had originally planned. It's better that the pieces end up in a sampler quilt than languish in the tin for another 15 years.

A few years ago I bought this top on Ebay. It has some lovely turn of the century mourning prints in the blocks, but the alternate blocks are a garish '30s print. Sometime this winter I will separate the blocks from the unsuitable setting fabric and piece them together with something more in keeping with their era. It was a bargain, about $15; I love value for money. I may even hand quilt this, it would be a nice way to get acquainted with all the old fabrics. I'll have to be careful of all those bias edges around the blocks....

8 comments:

Joyce 11:47 PM  

Love the scrappy stars. I'll be waiting to see the whole top.

Tracey in CT 3:52 AM  

The scrappy stars are great...such fun! I like the blue background with all the brownish- reproduction fabrics you've got in the stars.

mereth 9:03 AM  

I ADORE those star blocks, what a great resting place for all those last little bits. I'm feeling a bit miffed because I'm doomed to work with rotten chenille for the foreseeable future. I'd rather be doing something gorgeous with my lovely reproductions too.
I can't remember seeing that top, the blocks are wonderful.Happy unpicking there!

Helen 7:53 PM  

Great stars and they look fab with that blue background.

Diana 10:12 PM  

I love the idea of using up your little scraps with the stars. I really admire your color choices.

Lucy 5:31 AM  

Ohh my goodness I love your scrappy stars !! they are indeed so maverick.. I prefere the first with inset seams !

meggie 8:37 AM  

Lovely stars, & a lovely shade of blue.

MARCIE 9:32 AM  

$15!!! What a deal! By the time you do your magic with it, it will be fabulous! And those scrappy stars are sooo cool! You will soon have all of us making those!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP