Sunday, February 07, 2010

I've been working on my Lady of the Lake blocks, slowly building up the numbers. They are a good leader-ender project; I sew all the triangles for each block, then pack them into individual sandwich bags ready to iron when I have time. I like to sew the blocks all at once, as the pressing is a bit complicated, and I need to concentrate. It's nice to build up a collection of pieced units just waiting to be put together, it feels like all the hard work has already been done.

On the quilting front, I'm helping Mereth do a custom quilt, lots of feathers and more feathers. The top is beautifully put together, with lovely fabrics, and that makes working on it much more fun. I can't wait to see this when it comes off the frame, it should look absolutely gorgeous.

I finished my small quilt top, now to finalise the quilting designs to put on it. Mereth and I are giving a little talk at a quilting day, about how quilting changes the look of a quilt. So we are making several quilts of the same pattern, and each one will have a different style of quilting. It's fun working out what we're going to do; I have to piece another one like this, but it may be in different colours. I get too bored if I have to do the same thing all over again.

My garden is flourishing in the milder summer weather, and I'm getting overwhelmed by the few plants I have. One zucchini and one squash plant have taken over the whole garden bed, and they've produced an avalanche of fruit. I've bottled some relish, and frozen the puree, and eaten zucchini every day for a fortnight, and there's still loads left. The eggplant is ready to go mad as well, so I'm going to spend some time in the kitchen, trying to deal with it all. It's a good problem to have.

6 comments:

Karen 12:43 AM  

Lots of triangles in Lady of the Lake! It is a block I have wanted to turn into a quilt for a long time but just haven't done it. I like most quilts with lots of triangles.

MJinMichigan 1:39 AM  

Keryn I love how your Lady of the Lake blocks are turning out. Would it be possible to see the back of a pressed block? I find it a challenge to decide how to press pieced blocks to get them as flat as possible.

Nancy Anne 2:09 AM  

Keryn - I second MJinMichigan. I'd love to see how you've pressed the blocks. Also, any chance you can share your squash/zucchini relish recipe? I sometimes have the same issue with an overabundance of the stuff!

pdudgeon 3:55 AM  

yep, those are really pretty Lady of the Lake blocks. i haven't made one of those yet but i'll certainly put it on my list to do!

Anonymous,  12:12 PM  

Love the lady of the lake blocks. The squash look so fresh! Can't beat feathers in quilting either. Great work.

Sue SA 6:52 PM  

I love your quilt and block photos, it is so inspiring to see the work you churn out - I cannot get over the speed that you produce quilts!
Dont know if you have freezer space, but I have (no veggie garden = kids instead) in the past grated and frozen zucchini. I love zucchini slice in the winter, so being able to grab some out of the freezer was great. Plus I would also use it in lasgna, hamburgers etc.
Happy quilting, Sue.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP