Friday, January 03, 2020

An empty container

I found a container with a few random pieces in it (the one on the right), and decided that I needed to whip them up into blocks, or just get rid of them.


I combined them with some 9-patches made from the basket of 1.5" squares, and created these blocks.

I didn't love them enough to want to go on making them, especially as the original pieces weren't the right size.  My seam allowance was way off, which meant matching them to the accurate 9-patches was a chore. these will go into the Orphan Box.
I sewed the wonky pieces together and mashed the resulting piece flat with the iron.  Then I decided it needed a little border, so I hunted out the container of Half Square Triangles and added some Flying Geese.

It looks pretty cute, and took all of an hour to finish.  I'll see if I can quilt it as quickly in the next few days.  I'm so glad I didn't go off on a tangent and start a big quilt to use up these pieces; it's lovely to just deal with them and move on.

This is a good start to the year; Mereth is always telling me I should be making small quilts, and this proves I can. May there be many more.

4 comments:

Barb 10:54 PM  

I turned a bunch of scraps of brights into 18- nine inch reversible pot holders. They were like yours, mini modern quilts. I offered them to friends and family at holiday celebrations and people grabbed them up.

qypsyquilterdesigns 3:54 AM  

A great way to start the New Year, with finishes! Yeah.

Linda 7:38 AM  

Good idea to make a small quilt from those scraps. Love those orphan blocks, they will be a great addition to a future project.

jude's page 11:18 AM  

I might need to make smaller projects, then there might be more finishes??

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP