Tuesday, January 08, 2008

I finished two more tops, both of them positively ancient. The Night and Noon blocks were made when my DD was 1yo, and seeing as she's about to turn 21 that makes them one of the oldest UFOs I have. I have absolutely no idea why I didn't finish this years ago, except maybe I was thinking what I always do; 'I'll make a few more blocks to make it a decent size.....' And then I never do make those extra blocks. It's a nice lap size quilt, and will go into the queue of tops waiting to be quilted.

The pink and white heart quilt was started when my 17yo great-neice was born. It has languished ever since, waiting for just the right border fabric. This would never have been my first choice of border, but it's pretty and it's finished. I'll just have to find another baby to give it to, and not wait 17 years this time.And then, because I love chaos apparently, we covered the floor of the bank building with our orphan blocks and played with different layouts. I started sewing mine together before I could get precious about what went where; these are Unloved, Out-of-Shape, Un-used blocks. Just putting them into a top is going to be a massive step forward. If it looks good at the end I'll be happy. Surprised, but happy.
Many of these are hand-pieced, experiments when I was trying to find the next Perfect Project. These weren't it, obviously. They had too many pieces, too hard to press, just plain boring or way too difficult. They have issues, but they look alright from a distance. I imagine judicious quilting will help tame the worst of the bumps and bulges. The colours go together very well, but I think that just means that I am very predictable in my fabric choices. And a good thing too!

12 comments:

Donna 1:17 PM  

better to put these all together and enjoy them.... :-)

Mary Johnson 3:12 PM  

All the quilts look great - It must feel good to finally finish them. I've only been quilting for 7years and if I had to bet, my oldest UFO is probably 5 years old. I used to start a quilt and finish it before I got my longarm.

I love the orphan blocks. One day I want to make a sampler with random blocks. These do look very good together.

Joyce 10:21 PM  

It's amazing how those orphan blocks appear. I've only been quilting for a few years and I already have a drawer full. Since I have been reading blogs since I started quilting, I am determined not to get a big pile of UFOs. So far so good. Your orphans go together amazingly well.

Paula 6:05 AM  

I gave you an award on my blog today. Come by and visit!

Tanya Brown 3:53 PM  

Congratulations on finishing these UFOs! That alone is worth an award, methinks.

I thought I'd drop by and say hello. I'm remiss in not doing so sooner, given that you visited my blog and said hello almost a month ago.

Helen in the UK 4:08 AM  

You are really on a roll with finishing up UFOs. Keep up the good work :)

meggie 9:19 AM  

I love seeing your quilts! I especially like the top one.
It does give me heart too, to know that some of the ufo's are of some age. There might be hope for mine yet!

Diane 11:38 AM  

I visit your blog daily and love looking at all of your beautiful quilts. I love traditional quilts and yours make me smile. Thank you.

Tonya Ricucci 6:52 PM  

I love the orphan blocks - they look fabulous together like that. Seriously. Love it. And how fun would it be to put on a wordy border and include the years (hint hint hint).

julieQ 2:58 AM  

I love your orphans blocks!!In the past, I have taken orphan blocks and just quilted them with a simple border and made "one block wonders". Now I wish I had them all to put in a quilt like this! Seriously, very pretty!!

JulieQ

Rose Marie 1:30 AM  

Love the night and noon top! I'm looking for a block that could use up a lot of my charm blocks and this could be the one.

sewprimitive karen 9:28 AM  

Oh, LOVE the first quilt, the Night and Noon. What colors! And love the orphan block arrangement so much.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP