Friday, January 21, 2022

Cutting trick

I've been looking for an easier way to cut the triangles for my Hourglass blocks. With my dodgy eyesight it gets to be a strain, cutting hundreds of triangle pairs . (801 blocks, 2 pairs per block.... I don't want to do the math on that) 
So I came up with a little guide to help me align the ruler for those diagonal cuts.


I layered 5 strips of masking tape, until it was the same height as my paired fabric squares. One strip went on the 45 degree line on the back of a little ruler. Another strip joined it at a right angle, 3.5" along that line. It took a few tries, but it wasn't hard to get it in the right spot. 

Then it was a simple matter of snugging the squares into that space and cutting. 

Perfect!! It was actually better than me judging it by eye. 


Of course I could use the Companion Angle ruler to cut triangles from 1.75"strips, but I like the speed of cutting 4 at once. I'll use both methods, after all I have strips in both sizes to use up. 

I want to cut a few every day, and accumulate a stockpile so I can have a big sewing day soon. My next big push will see me to the half way point, which will be exciting. 

3 comments:

Bag End Gardener 7:20 AM  

That's clever :-)
I've done the same but with the tape on top - your way is much better because it makes a frame for the fabric to nestle into. Thanks, x

Cheryl D. 3:44 AM  

What a good idea! Thank you for sharing. Have fun making those triangles. Hope you have a great day.

QuiltGranma 5:03 PM  

What a great way to handle that problem!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP