Saturday, March 19, 2022

Fussing

 Once the remnant strips were all joined together I started thinking about the borders. Before I sewed them on I thought I'd better check it on my bed to see if it was big enough. Surprise surprise, it wasn't. Even with the borders it would barely hang over the sides of the mattress. So it was back to the design wall to come up with a solution.


I was all out of the little bits to make another couple of strips, and I didn't want to wait till I'd amassed enough through cutting out other quilts. So I went to my stash of 2.5"triangles to make up the extra width.



This arrangement of triangles made it look a bit like crumb piecing, with a nice haphazard look. I have a huge collection of triangles, so the two strips of them never made a dent in the box.


While I was fussing over the borders I came to the conclusion that I really needed a 4"block in each of the corners. Off I went to the drawer of orphan blocks, and there I discovered enough HSTs already sewn into strips to have made the 2 strips I'd just sewn. I should know by now that it pays to check all the boxes, containers and drawers when I'm looking for extras. Oh well, they'll be there for another quilt. Or for the backing.



I didn't find a block I liked, but I liked the effect, so I made this one as a trial. It's a definite maybe. 



This UFO was supposed to be a quick finish, but it's anything but. Maybe it will get done in the next day or two, if I can just stop fussing. It reminds me of an optometrist appointment; is this better, or this one? The first one or the second one? I should just toss a coin to decide.

5 comments:

babs 11:24 AM  

I love how your quilt is turning out. I have some strips I’ve sewn together and I might have to something similar. Your blog is so inspiring!

cbott 12:00 PM  

How does that corner block look turned 180 so the dark triangles are sewn to the dark border, and the light triangles to the light border? It might even give a mitered look/effect to the corner.

I recently found two massively long strips of 2.5" scraps sewn together to have on hand for scrappy borders. I'm so close to sewing them up in a top like yours, instead.

Carolyn

Chookyblue...... 2:11 PM  

LOL....the things we do...we should just know quilt sizes but we never do.....alwasy wanting to see what it looks like on a bed........the triangles look good in there......

Gretchen Weaver 10:42 PM  

Beware of those 'quick' quilts! The HST border looks really nice with the strips. I like the floral border fabric, happy stitching!

Tazzie 11:04 PM  

Keryn, I love it! Bravo for using up your scraps in such an imaginative way!
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP