Saturday, March 05, 2022

MAD piecing for March

 While I was assembling the pink and brown quilt I was also working on my Hourglass units. I want to clear away some of the grey fabric littering every surface, and that means I needed to cut a heap of 3.5" squares from them first. Every square makes 4 triangles, equal to one block, so if I cut 50 squares I knew that I had enough triangles for 50 blocks. It didn't take all that long to cut that first 50, so I buckled down and cut another 50, and then I tidied up the scraps. Before I knew it I had enough squares for 135 Hourglass units.



They don't look like much, but they were pretty labour intensive, what with the sewing, pressing and trimming. I had two long sessions of nothing else but feeding them through the machine, and did the ironing and trimming over a couple of days.  Then I packed them all away with their brothers and sisters in the project box,which is getting pretty full now. I tallied it all up, and I now have 667 little blocks finished, just 134 to go. I think I'll work in smaller batches from now on. And work with colours that aren't so drab and gloomy.

I pulled out the scrappy bars that I was working on last year. It didn't need many more strips to make it into a decent size quilt, so I'm pretty sure it can be a quick finish. 

I was a bit horrified when I went to the drawer containing the scrap ends of strips. I've been adding to it constantly, and there was way more than I thought. I'm going to enjoy going through all these little bits, remembering the projects they came from. There are some really lovely fabrics in this lot.



I will have plenty of scraps to finish this quilt, plus enough to start building the next one. I don't want to make the same thing again, so it will involve a bit of hunting through my books and Pinterest searches for ideas. It might be fun to do something in a block format next time, so I can keep using the pieces as I cut them, not letting them build up into a massive pile again. 

3 comments:

Rose Marie 11:45 PM  

Oh, those pesky scraps ..... they just never seem to go away ..... Still, glad that you are using them up and your hourglass blocks are sure piling up.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) 4:15 AM  

I really like the hourglass units. I too have been making that block. For the Aunt Daisy quiltalong.

Chantal 12:28 PM  

I have a suggestion for your scrap ends of strips. I made a Churn Dash/Hole in the Barn Door quilt with my ends of strips. You can see it here if you'd like:
https://atthecornerofscrapandquilts.blogspot.com/2021/10/orange-sewing-and-much-more.html
Enjoy! ;^)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP