Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Binding blitz

I'm almost ashamed to admit how many quilts were laying around, just waiting for their binding. I rarely follow my quilts through from piecing to binding. Once it's a top I forget about it; if I quilt it then I act as if it's all finished.  Sometimes I trim it ready to bind, make the binding and then it just gets packed away. I'm always ready to abandon it to something more interesting, so my stack of completely finished quilts rarely gets any bigger.


However! This time I totally fixated on clearing the workroom of the stack of partially finished quilts that were reproaching me and taking up all the shelf space. The bindings for all these were made as they were being quilted, so I just had to grab the box of bindings and start sewing.

 I began by sewing the binding onto 3 quilts that I intend to finish by hand.  Sometimes I want an easy project when I don't feel inspired, and I just want to watch TV and stitch.
This 9-patch has been quilted for many years; I'm one side away from it being finished. This was actually made and quilted in 2010.
I'll hand sew the binding on Isla's quilt, and put a few special thoughts into it for her.  I know I meant to give all the kids quilts for last Christmas, but I ended spending time in Queensland instead, so it didn't happen.  Maybe this next Christmas. The Puss In The Corner quilt was quilted in October last year.
This quilt called Plaid Explosion was long overdue for binding.  It looks great now, ready for a turn on my bed.

One of my Shirt quilts had it's binding applied in less than 2 hours.  Why do I put this off? It was quilted last year some time.
A Puss In The Corner made from charm squares and quilted in 2015 was next on the list.  It looks pretty good now that all the raw edges have been covered up.
Road To Oklahoma also waited a while for it's binding. It was quilted in November last year.
This quilt was quilted a long, long time ago, but amazingly I could lay my hands on the binding I made for it at the time.  I do have good intentions, but I get distracted very easily.

So 8 quilts had their binding attached, and 4 were entirely finished. Next time I"m home I"ll concentrate on completing the remaining 4, and binding the two that I didn't get to. Both are QS, so it will be a big job.

I know I was lazy to let them mount up like that, but I deserve a few brownie points for getting so many bound this trip. I didn't get distracted at all.


1 comments:

Rose Marie 11:32 PM  

Well ..... I, too, have about six quilts that need binding ..... so, you are not alone. I'm just waiting for the cooler weather to start doing them. Still, doesn't it feel good to have all those quilts done and ready to use?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP